Monday, October 18, 2010

LET'S MAKE A DEAL





Ahhhh….free money! When I was a little girl, that is what I considered coupons. Although my mom was not a big coupon cutter, feeling the small reward was often not worth the hassle, she indulged my fondness for them. Every week for many years I dug through the Sunday paper to find them. There was no logic to my cutting. I cut out anything and everything, regardless of whether we used or ate a particular item. Every coupon symbolized more money and, In my mind, we were building a fortune, twenty-five cents at a time.

That little girl has grown up now, but some things haven't changed. After years of hanging up my scissors, I am back in the game thanks to a friend's urging. These days who couldn't use a few extra dollars in their pocket each week. I don't have dollar signs in my eyes anymore, but I do get a kick out of the challenge of hunting down a deal at the grocery store. It's as barbaric as this vegetarian gets.

Here is how I make my "kill."



Once a week the local grocery store fliers arrive in the mail along with a small section of Red Plum manufacturer coupons. I stash these in a cabinet, until grocery day later in the week. Then the fun starts. I begin by looking through each flier and circling sale items we need or usually buy. I then make a meal list for the week based on what is on sale. If up-front money and storage space were no problem, I'd probably buy multiple items whenever something we use was on sale. These are both limited though so, with a few exceptions, I usually only buy what we need for the next week or two. This keeps it simple.

The meal list is also very simple. I plan seven categories of meals and then choose a variation of each meal. The categories are as follows: turkey burgers, pasta, chicken or pork, breakfast for dinner, pizza, salad and miscellaneous. For example, on turkey burger night the toppings and side dish change based on what is on sale or what we already have in the house. One night might be barbecue burgers and butternut squash fries, and the next week might be Thanksgiving burgers complete with stuffing and cranberry sauce. This cuts down on the stress of deciding from a list of endless possibilities . It also allows me to use sales to stockpile a few staples that we use each week, such as pasta and chicken.


After the list is written, I jump to my coupon envelopes. This is my answer to a coupon organizer, minus the cute little case. I simply spread my envelopes out on a table, make sure stored coupons haven't expired and then match coupons with things on my grocery list. Several years ago we started using the backs of old junk mail envelops to write notes and grocery lists. Coupons fit nicely into this small space and it is less of a bother to carry than my entire coupon collection. I write the name of each item, the quantity I'll buy, the size of the container that matches the sale and add a bold "C" next to each item that I have a coupon for.

All of this allows me to have a pretty good guess about how much I'm going to spend and save each week. It helps me stay organized and illuminates the need to wander up and down each isle. Who needs to do that? I stick to the list and all is well.


As of today, we've saved just over $427 this year. It may not be millions, but I'll settle for a few cents and my sanity any day!

5 comments:

  1. That's such a great idea. You know, I just said this weekend that I'm going to have to start cutting out coupons again. I, too, used to love doing it as a kid -- it was one of my weekend jobs!

    There are also quite a few online coupon sites that have printable coupons -- you can search for what you want, print 'em out, and use them. I love that you're tracking how much you're saving with coupons, too! I'm going to try to start that, too. Maybe get the kid to help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate - you should also try the web for coupons the site couponsuzy.com is great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. On Sundays I hand my kids the coupons from the papers and the coupon envelop. If they need ( or want something at 14 & 16) they can have it IF we have a coupon for it ! Amazing how they now look for them each Sunday! Nice work Shane - it is about quality not always quantity in life that counts ! Lucky boy you have there !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! I do the same think Kate! It is almost addicting trying to get the best deal for something you like AND use! I haven't added totals or anything but I have saved us a couple hundred myself. We have a grocery out here that allows you to download coups onto your shoppers card, then you print out your list and go! Thank you for helping me feel a little more sane... MMR

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so jealous, Marie. I've seen a few websites that let you put coupons onto your store card, but none of the stores are around here.

    I haven't added up the savings total myself though. I do the most shopping at Stop and Shop. At the bottom of the receipt is list of total savings for that trip and a breakdown of what I saved from coupons and store sales. They also list the savings total for the year.

    I'm going to check out couponsuzy.com. I am a fan of thekrazycoupnlady.com. They walk you through the steps of using combinations of store sales, coupons and "cash back" bonuses to get specific products for free or dirt cheap prices. Two weeks ago I got two $23 Oral-B toothbrushes for free. No rebates to send in.

    ReplyDelete