Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The Start of Something Small

One of the reasons that we started this blog was to help us keep our focus as we try to simplify our life. You see, seven weeks ago we had our first baby. (See cute baby photo.) Seven weeks ago our lives changed in the most wonderful way. Seven weeks ago our priorities shifted. Seven weeks ago all sense of order also went out the window.

The Little One, minutes old.
You see, the little guy is so much fun and we waited so long to have him that, for a while, everyday life was on hold. We ate and showered when we could and tried to get in a nap now and then. The everyday stuff went undone or, if we were lucky, half done. Then the adrenaline wore off and the tired stick hit us. I love him to pieces, but the hormones + fatigue + a sink full of dirty dishes + one last pair of clean underwear started to get to me. In reality, the disorder in our house actually wasn't so bad. In my head though, there was a chaos everywhere I looked. The postpartum thing isn't a joke. What's a new mom to do? My way of restoring order was to try and multi-task myself to death. When that didn't work I panicked. And when panicking got me no where we had to try something new.

So, here we are at week seven, starting fresh and trying to make better choices each day. Our dream is to raise a spirited but centered little boy. To do that there is a new mantra in our house…."something small today". We are focusing on getting ONE thing done every day and simplifying the other side-dishes of life (chores, errands, etc.) that we may or may not get to on top of our one item to-do list.

Today's success was a Mommy and baby trip to the local Walmart with a five-item list in hand. To sum it up, although the trip started late due to a diaper "blow-out" and outfit change, the little guy slept peacefully for an hour as I shopped- not usually the case. I dared to add a few extra needed things to the shopping cart as well before counting my blessings and calling it quits. I knew I was on borrowed time with my sleeping baby. When I got to the check-out lane it was already twenty minutes past the two hours he usually spaces between dining sessions. To be honest, I had visions of him waking to an empty belly and letting out a red-faced scream so loud that it would send me sprinting to the car. I had unwelcome visions of me breastfeeding him right there in the front seat of my Honda while using the steering wheel for support instead of a pillow. Plus, I parked next to the shopping cart return area. Enough said.

In the end though, he stayed asleep. I paid, bagged my stuff and resisted the urge to high-five the cashier before turning to go. Something small was accomplished today. The other pieces of life can fall as they choose, but the rest of the day is for us.


3 comments:

  1. something small is a good thing... remember that you will look back on these days and cherish them.. you will forget about the extreme fatique, and just remember the love and joy...
    Be well,
    Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll tell ya..a trip to walmart on your own with a 7 week old is a HUGE thing! It can be a challenge with thing 1 and thing 2 sometimes. So a great big high five to you. I am in awe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies. That trip to the Super Walmart was funny in a way because I usually HATE to shop there even though I know I'm going to find a good deal. It's usually a lonely, daunting trip that I procrastinate doing. With the kiddo I had someone to talk to and smile down at. I'm thinking of starting a list to narrow it down to one Walmart trip per month since I don't get produce there. Then I can keep a master " Walmart" list on the fridge to check off what we need for the month. I'm sensing a follow-up Walmart entry in the future. Any simple suggestions that help with your shopping trips?

    ReplyDelete