Tuesday, November 16, 2010

DOING IT OUR WAY

Three months ago, we were together
all day. Starting today, we all have
our own places to be. 

"How did they do it?"
The question ran through my mind over and over as we drove away. The Wife and I had just dropped off the Little One at day care for the first time. She was chatty, working to convince both of us that he would be fine.

Me? I was quiet. That's how I get when the damn knot in my throat swells. If I try to talk at those moments, the only sound that comes out is a sucking noise that resembles an asthmatic struggling to catch their breath.

So as I tried (unsuccessfully) to hide my tears, all I could think was, "How did they do it?"
My parents raised four kids on one salary. Mom made money on the side watching other kids, but she didn't go to work until we were old enough to fend for ourselves after school. For the most part, we all got by on Dad's salary that he earned as a mailman. Fine work, to be sure, but it's not like he had a wealthy income.

They had a mortgage and bills to pay. There were clothes to buy and six mouths to feed. None of us went to day care. They did it on one salary while mom stayed home with us.

I never felt we were wealthy growing up, but I certainly never felt like we went without either. 

Yesterday, more than ever before, I appreciated that. The Wife and I both are fortunate enough to have full-time jobs. Neither of us would be considered highly paid by any stretch, but we get by fine enough.

Of course, I'd love to have one of us home, so the Little One wouldn't have to go to day care. But life is a numbers game, and we can't make the numbers work without us both working.

It bugs me, but that's the way it is. Still, there are positive ways to look at it. By going to day care, the Little One gets to experience being around other children. There will be things he learns in that environment that he simply couldn't get at home, regardless of whether one or both of us could be with him.

So as the reality sinks in that the Little One will be a day care baby, the question will pop up again, I'm sure.

"How did they do it?"
I'm not sure I actually want the answer. Instead, I'll just appreciate that they did.

No comments:

Post a Comment