Wednesday, November 17, 2010

"L" IS FOR LEARNING

Yesterday was my first day back to work after a three month maternity leave. The emotions that go with that are still too raw to reflect on just yet. That will come in time.

Instead, I'm trying to distract myself by gathering a list of random things I learned during my "baby break" that have nothing to do with babies. So far I've assembled a small list of random nuggets of information with no particular connection. I assume that none of these tidbits are on the Mensa exam, but I think they are good to know just the same.

Non-parenting Things I learned during my maternity leave:

I learned that there is an online test to see if a person qualifies for Mensa.

I learned that grocery stores are much calmer midmorning on a weekday than thirty minutes before kick-off on Sundays in the fall.

I learned that not everything listed on weekly grocery store flyers is on sale. Apparently, advertisers are sometimes allowed to buy ad space.

I learned the words to "Rubber Ducky." This may sound like a parenting thing, but no self-respecting old-school Sesame Street fan who grew up in the nineteen seventies or eighties doesn't know this song.

I learned that not much happens on Facebook during the workday. I'm not saying that we are all productive workers during these hours. I simply mean that, other than birthday well-wishes and a few random comments from stay-at-home parents, nothing new usually happens. I'm sure we are all checking to see what crazy thing our friends did, heard, saw or thought late the night before, but we aren't posting anything over-the-top ourselves.

I learned that many neighbors on my street shamelessly go by the "pajamas until noon" rule. By the end of three months I proudly walked to the mailbox wearing my night clothes.

I learned that quiet houses make as many creepy noises during the day as they do at night.

Lastly, I learned that now that I am a parent I have a narrow window for reading or t.v. viewing, but somehow little specs of learning manage to fall at my feet. This is another good reason to watch where I step.

1 comment:

  1. This is too funny! Since I am still in my pajamas at almost 10am...I guess I can't pass any judgements against your neighbors :) Sometimes it is all I can do to get both kids dressed in the morning.

    ReplyDelete