Wednesday, March 9, 2011

BACK ON THE LINE

Old phone, and new phone.

After three weeks, I am back in the world of cell phones. 

Three weeks ago, I put my phone through the washing machine and the dryer. As you might guess, that's bad for the phone. Really bad. The phone died.

Although there were definitely things that became difficult (like, you know, calling friends on the phone), I must admit that I did not miss my phone very much. 

The combination of lack of time and lack of urgency delayed the process of getting a replacement. I finally went on Saturday, and learned I was not eligible for an upgrade. Nor did I have phone insurance. That meant to walk out of the store that day with a basic phone (our budget does not have room for anything more than basic phones right now) would have cost about $200.

Unless I was willing to wait three more days to have a used phone shipped to the house for $75. I figured, what the hell, I've gone two-plus weeks, what's another three days? Well, another three days meant $125 in savings, so it was a no brainer.

So the phone came last night. My text and voicemail messages came in, but all my contacts were gone. It'll take a while to build the contacts back up (if you have my number, call or text me with yours). The most depressing message? The voicemail from myself, when my phone called itself while floating around in the washing machine.

whoosh, whoosh, whoosh, whoosh… bzzzzzippp.
and then… silence.

For three full weeks.

2 comments:

  1. ooooohhhhhh....I've done that, that sucks!! just an FYI...verizon has backup assistant which stores your contacts online or in a cloud type thing. When you get a new phone you just open backup assistant and it pulls the contacts into the phone. Well worth the effort, and it's free.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Liss,

    I swear I set up the backup client when we first got our phones, but when I checked, there was no record online. It was frustrating.

    ReplyDelete