Wednesday, December 22, 2010

ON THE NINTH DAY OF CHRISTMAS


On the ninth day of Christmas our little family…went a little green.

If you're like me, you finished your holiday shopping a couple of weeks ago and just have to get those special gifts in disguise and under the tree. And then there are a few of you who are more adventurous and make holiday shopping a last-minute sport. A decade ago I spent the last week before Christmas at the mall wrapping presents for a charity… so I know who you are. If I am talking about you, I've got some advice that could make your week easier. If you are way ahead of the game and finished your gift wrapping weeks (or maybe even months) ago, these suggestions might help with next year's holiday preparations and any birthdays and celebrations that pop up before then.

We are all cutting back on spending these days and that makes it even harder to find a way to give to our favorite charities. A donation in someones name is a one-size-fits-all solution. It says, "I'm thinking about what is close to your heart and am going to help." I love getting presents as much as the next kid-at-heart, but the times someone has given a donation in my name have meant more than any sweater or electronic.

Another idea we've started to grab hold of in the last few years is the concept of green wrapping. Basically, I try to get away with buying as little wrapping materials as possible and get creative with the ways I cover gifts. I start by taking a look at the things we already have around the house and the size and weight of things that need wrapping. In years past I've used everything from pillow cases to scraps of decorated junk mail. This year I actually decided to raid the Husband's tee-shirt collection and borrow a few pieces to wrap his gifts. I know that sounds weird and maybe even ugly, but it's not that bad. To make the presents more festive I have a roll of holiday ribbon I'll use to tie around the wrapped gifts. We'll post a picture of the finished gifts under the tree for everyone to judge for themselves.

The result will be a colorful, yet coordinated and very environmentally friendly and affordable display. Plus it will give him another excuse to hold on to his favorite old tees a little longer.

By far the easiest thing I do to green-wrap is re-using left over gift bags and tissue paper from past holidays and other celebrations. Last year I put several of these in a box and stored them with our holiday decorations. The other day when the Husband announced that he was starting a marathon gift-wrapping session I presented him with my box of bags and gently-used tissue paper. In the end he opted to use recycled wrapping paper instead, but this alone made the future a little greener for the Little One and all of his little friends. Maybe next year the Husband will be ready to take that leap toward an uber-green Christmas and embrace my offbeat wrapping style. Just in case, I'll be standing by this holiday season under the mistletoe with a box of used bags and bows and a little more green in my hands.

1 comment:

  1. love this! Your T-shirt idea is brilliant. This year I made a decision to not buy any wrapping paper and use the misc. stuff I had. Our tree is filled with snowman, spiderman etc :) I also reuse gift bags but not the tissue...maybe this year. Santa also doesn't wrap in our house...this saves even more paper and is much easier :) Thanks for all of the great ideas :)

    ReplyDelete