Thursday, December 2, 2010

YOU EAT WHAT???

I love a good veggie burger every now and then. With a little catsup, mustard and cheese they become a yummy alternative to beef or ground turkey meat. Nothing makes a non-vegetarian host or hostess happier then to kindly offer me the meatless burger they were thoughtful enough to buy before their cook-out or big dinner. Many have shared that, even though they eat meat, they also enjoy some kind of imitation meat product from time to time. For that reason I thought I'd share some thoughts on the meat-alternative foods available today in most grocery stores.


One of the most popular ingredients in the world of meat-alternatives is soy. By far my favorite bean, soy is very versatile because it picks up the flavor of whatever it cooks with. This has led to several brands offering flavorful chicken, beef and turkey alternatives. Many restaurants offer some kind of soy-based burger on their menu. I've also learned to ask our waitress or waiter if there are vegetarian options not listed. Good chefs seem to like the challenge of substituting a meatless product for the real thing as long as the customer makes a polite inquiry and not a demand. In general, it is becoming much easier to eat meat-free and still get the flavor and texture of meat.


As much as I love soy though, it is second on my list of meat alternatives. The first spot on that list is reserved for the Quorn line of meat-free products. Quorn offers a variety of foods, but my favorite is their imitation of chicken. Appropriately called Chik'n, these products are available in "cutlets", nuggets and bite-size pieces ready to stir-fry. Here is the interesting part; the entire line of Quorn products is soy-free. That's right. They managed to win this picky vegetarian over by creating a variety of tasty, high protein foods without a single soy bean. Instead, the main ingredient in all Quorn products is something called mycoprotein. Are you ready for this? Mycoprotein is made from an edible fungus related to mushrooms and truffles. This shocked me because I am generally NOT a mushroom fan. Not only is it a high-protein food, but mycoprotein provides all of the important amino acids found in chicken and beef, without the fat or cholesterol. Essentially, in many ways, it is a healthier alternative to soy-based imitation meat products. Yes, it took me a little while to get over the fact that I am eating a fungus. It is a delicious, versatile fungi though and I'm happy I discovered it.


One last thing and I'll get down from my vegetarian soapbox. I think it is important to mention that The Husband, a die-hard carnivore at heart, eats and likes these meatless options on a regular basis. Enough said.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Kate - I'm a big fan of the Morning Star Farms stuff (still make my fave - quick chix parm - on a regular basis), but I have never tried Quorn. Do you buy it at specialty places (like Whole Foods?) or is it available at plain 'ol Stop-n-Shop? I don't think I've ever seen it, but then again I never looked for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mick,

    It's available at good ol' Stop-n-Shop! The packaging is more orange in color.

    ReplyDelete