Friday, December 31, 2010

LOOKING FORWARD TO A NEW YEAR

With 2011 arriving tomorrow, I can safely say that the last year was easily the best one that the Wife and I have spent together in our now 10 1/2 years of marriage. Yesterday, she took a look back, so today, I'll take a look ahead.

We'll be hard pressed to top the Little One's arrival. I'll just go ahead and say right now that we won't be able to top that event this year. Still, there is plenty for us to look forward to in 2011.

Here's a quick look at the highlights we'll be anticipating in the coming year:

- The arrival of Baby Fletcher, my brother's first child. He's expected sometime in early February, giving the Little One essentially a fourth cousin. He has a step-cousin in North Carolina and my brother's girlfriend has two boys who - while not technically related - are very much family in every other sense of the word.

- My step-sister's wedding. A couple years ago, my father got remarried and moved to North Carolina. His wife is a kind, beautiful person, and her two grown kids have become family to all of us, which I initially wasn't sure could happen. After all, they were people we essentially did not meet until the day before my father and Grandma Sue got married. Before the wedding, expecting meaningful relationships to build with them seemed like a tall task. It took all of a weekend for my perspective to change, and now they are our North Carolina family, and we are excited to bring the Little One down to meet them.

- The Little One's first steps. At some point this year, he will learn to walk. It's a natural milestone for any baby. I'm telling you now, I will be an emotional mess when he does it. I did not learn to walk until I was more than three years old. My sister, who is a year-and-a-half younger, walked before I did. Doctors told my parents that I probably never would walk. Knowing that we have a healthy boy who - barring something completely unforeseen - will walk like a "normal" child means more than I could really put into words.

- The Super Bowl? Sorry, but I had to slip this one in there. As a big Patriots fan (they gave me my first job out of school), I'm excited for what is setting up for another possible title run. Obviously it's not a given (hence the question mark in Super Bowl?), but things are certainly looking good.

- A road trip to the 'Burgh. At some point this year, we'll drive with the Little One to the Wife's hometown - Pittsburgh. We actually just got back from a great New Year's trip there. We've already decided to hit the road for a family trip. Primanti Brothers, a Pirates game at the gorgeous PNC Park and time with Uncle Doug and Grandma Marti. Yeah, we're already excited.

- The first birthday. We'll set the Little One in his high chair, give him a small cake loaded with bright-colored frosting and let him go to town. The strange colors that he poops the next day will totally be worth watching him smear frosting all over his face and head.

That's enough for now. We try to stay in the moment as much as possible, but it's exciting to look ahead and know some of the things that will be coming down the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment