Friday, January 28, 2011

OUR GROWING BOY

The Little One adds his
two cents about what
he wants to grow.
Yesterday we woke up to find another blanket of snow draped over everything in sight.

There was a lot of grumbling going on outside among the neighbors because we've reached record snow levels already this year and, since we are only halfway through winter, chances are that we haven't seen the end of it. I kept quiet though as I did my share of shoveling. The truth is, I like snow. In my opinion, it is the silver lining of winter. If it HAS to be freezing cold outside, I'd rather have the ground covered in sparkling white as well.

That is, as long as I'm not in a rush to get somewhere and the roads are safe for everyone.

As I shoveled the winter "bling" from our sidewalk, I started thinking about the ground beneath the mountainous snow piles. Somewhere under there in my front yard is my flower garden. It's getting a much-needed rest right now - another reason to like winter - but in a just a few months I'll be planting once again. Wow! A few months is not too long to wait.

In the mean time, there is a bit of planning to do. The Little One and I discussed this over a dinner of green peas and rice cereal last night. I needed his input. After all, it is not just my garden anymore. It is our garden.

I've waited to share this with him for what seems like an eternity. As far back as I can remember, I've looked forward to the day that I can teach my own child about gardening. I'm sure there will be a few challenges along the way and that more than one seedling will be beheaded at the hands of an eager toddler. That is nature though. The fun we will have will more than make up for it. Bring on the dirty hands and bugs!

1 comment:

  1. Z's first garden two years ago was just carrots (he saw it on a Curious george episode and insisted on growing only carrots). Last year he added cucumbers, watermelon and green beans. I can't wait to plan it out with him this year.

    Gosh I haven't been here in sooo long. I think I am mostly caught up now ;)

    ReplyDelete