Friday, February 4, 2011

DOING NOTHING AND LOVING IT

"Wow. We're one of those families now?"
That was the Wife's reaction when I showed her the tax return we'll be getting this year. Suffice to say, it's easily the largest we have ever received.

We had heard about the tax break that children provide, and it was eye opening to see how much of an impact it had. That combined with a full year of mortgage payments went a long way to making us smile.

The first full year we were in our previous home, we were waylaid when we had to pay a couple grand back to Uncle Sam. That experience had us wary this time around.

Not that we are going to do anything crazy with it. In fact, it's all going into the safety net we've been building. When we bought our home, we had set a figure as a goal, hoping to get there within two years. By the end of the month, we'll hit that goal, with three months to spare.

It's definitely more exciting to spend money than it is to save it. At the same time, we feel a sense of comfort knowing that if something bad should happen, we'll have a grace period to work with. Not a big one, mind you, but it's something.

Not that I understood this several years ago. When I left my first full-time job, I actually cashed my 401k. That was nine years ago. Looking back, it makes me simultaneously laugh and cringe at my total lack of awareness of finances.

Not too long ago getting a healthy return would have meant some type of short-term gratification. This year, however, we won't even really be doing anything with it, and that has me oddly excited.  

4 comments:

  1. Yea, we sock ours away too now. Sign of the times I think. Hopefully we get one this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true, Lisa. If we need a silver lining regarding the reality of the times, perhaps it's that we are a little more responsible with what we have. Not that I'd complain if we could afford to spend on a whim ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have learned so much about finances in the last few years. when I think about all the money we have wasted over the years, it makes me want to cry! But now we are on the right track and hopefully can stay there (although with Scott starting his own business, it gets a bit trickier).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Right there with you, RZ :-). Totally wish I could go back in time, just so I could change some of the moronic spending I've done in the past.

    ReplyDelete