Wednesday, February 9, 2011

THE WORDS OF GRANDPA

The Little One had a great
day with Grandpa.
Yesterday, the Little One got to spend the entire day with Grandpa, who is up visiting from North Carolina for a few days. Even though they don't get to see each other often, the two have them have a special bond.

Watching my father with my son, I can't help but smile. It's easy to see what it means to Dad to hold the Little One, who also seems to understand he is lucky to have each of his grandparents in his life.

With yesterday fresh on our minds, we have decided to share the poem Grandpa wrote for the Wife and I the day the Little One was born. Enjoy.

A Night Ever Special


I doubt that I will ever forget the sight
Of my son walking down the hall that night,
Captured forever within a mental time frame
As he pushed open the door and said, "Patrick James."


Although he was tired, his steps had been spry
And it could not be doubted that he was emotionally high,
The huge grin on his face spread from one ear to the other
Because he and his wife were now a father and mother!


His own mother had passed just four years before
But I could sense she was with him as he pushed open the door,
She'd always loved children and had oft dreamt of this day
Now, a guiding light she'd be able to help show them the way.


His mother-in-law was there and he gave her a hug,
Her anxiety now thrown from her shoulders with a shrug.
Her relief and her joy were plain for all to see
As she envisioned her daughter holding a newborn baby.


When finally we were allowed into their birthing suite
We were witness to a sight with which no other would compete:
The baby in the arms of his mother was content,
My son gazing down at them as over their shoulders he bent.


Yes, it was a night that will always be special to me:
The birth of the first grandchild of our family.
The sight of the new parents gleaming with love and joy
As they held and cared for their little baby boy!


Thanks Dad, and Grandpa.



2 comments:

  1. Wow! What a beautiful poem, what a wonderful way to capture the beauty and emotion of that moment. I cried through the whole thing, well done Grandpa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Umm made me tear up... that is a wonderful thing to have!!

    ReplyDelete