Tuesday, February 15, 2011

RULES OF THE GAME

I like sports. Not in the same way that the Husband does.


He LOVES sports.


I like sports just enough to meet the "cool wife" criteria. By that I mean that I like sports enough to sit on the couch next to him on Sundays in the fall and enjoy watching the home team play football. I like sports enough to pay attention when the nightly news program does a 30-second recap of that day's Red Sox game. I even like sports enough to play in the occasional backyard family game of soccer or Wiiffle Ball.


In spite of this, I have my limits when it comes to liking sports. In my mind, no game is worth sitting in the cold to watch. I don't condone paying ridiculous amounts of money to go to sporting events when the view from the couch is better. I also think it is crazy that several top baseball players get paid enough in a year that they could individually fund the athletic program of a public school system. It is hard to watch a major league game when I know that at that moment there are countless athletic programs on the chopping block because school districts need to cut costs somewhere.


The Husband doesn't see eye to eye with me on all of those arguments. Luckily though, we agree on the big ones. Whether or not he is eventually an athlete himself someday, the Little One will know about sports. Here are the top five things he needs to know:


5. Never wear cleats in the house.


4. Effort is often more important than an end result.


3. There is a difference between confidence and cockiness. Understanding that

difference is very important. Confidence is encouraged. Cockiness, not so much.


2. It is okay to love a team so much that they can break your heart. It only makes it sweeter when they come through.


1. Under no circumstances is booing acceptable.


Oh, and one more that goes without saying:

*No matter how you play sports or even if you play, Mommy and Daddy will always be your biggest fans!


No comments:

Post a Comment