Friday, February 18, 2011

GOING WITHOUT IS GOOD, YET I WANT MORE

The cell, in its final resting place.

I've been without a cell phone for four days now.

The world has not stopped.

Without question, it has been a pain in the butt when it comes to certain things… making phone calls, getting in touch with people, knowing that I am missing messages, etc.

For example, I know my sister is having a tough week. I don't know her cell phone number because of my reliance on the contacts function on cell phones. Not that I have a phone to call her with anyway.

On the other hand, I like that I get in my car and don't automatically reach for my pocket to call someone, simply because I can. I like that I've broken away from texting, which I've never done a ton of anyway.

Cell phones are great and they have made so many things convenient for us. It's just always a good idea every once in a while to step back from the technology in our lives.

And yet, even as I write that, I'm holding out hope that this might be the trip to the wireless phone shop during which I convince the Wife that a SmartPhone of some sort is a good idea.

2 comments:

  1. Just bought Jim the r2d2 droid...I say go big or go home ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. iPhone 4. Donated my 3G to Joe when I upgraded, so now he has a little mini computer, too, because it still functions like an iPod touch without the phone service. This thing (which I'm using to write this, by the way), is faster than my computer, and replaced my old digital camera, my GPS, my iPod, and has a video camera (which I didn't have before). I mean, it's not as good as a good computer, but it satisfied a lot of other electronic "needs" I had. I never could have planned the wedding from across the country without it. And almost EVERY number I call is long-distance, so it's good that they're free.

    But that's my impression. Some people are die-hard Blackberry, HTC, and Android fans, and I respect it. I just love this phone.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete