Monday, February 21, 2011

PHASE TWO HAS BEGUN

What? WHAT!!!!!!!!


That is the thought that ran, no, bolted through mind last night as we stood in the doorway looking into the LIttle One's room.


We knew he was sleepy, but awake, when I put him in his crib a few minutes before. I hadn't even left the room when he started his newest routine of rolling himself over and back. When I reached our room I told the Husband about the action that was taking place in the crib down the hall after lights out. Curious, he tip-toed down the hall and peeked into the room. A moment later he came back and told me that I had to come see the "jail bird," as he called him.


"He is on his side but has himself pressed up against the railing with both hands holding on to the bars."


We crept back down the hall together and carefully looked into the room. The Husband pulled the door open more so that the hall light would illuminate our view better. It took a few moments for my eyes to adjust to the difference in the light, but then I saw him just as the Husband had described. Two fists holding on to pull himself to the side. Very creative!


Then it happened. There was movement and my eyes had to re-focus. I gasped when I saw it. His little hand curled tight around the top rail. In that instant it was too easy to picture him pulling himself up to sit and then… The Husband must have had the same thought, because he was in the room in a heartbeat.


We stood there in the silence looking at him. Of course, our smiling guy thought it was awesome that Mommy and Daddy were both there to play with him. That WASN'T about to happen.


What did happen was a rare sleepover with us and a plan to lower the crib mattress today. While we are at it, we will start collecting baby gates, locking cabinets and, at the rate he is going, I think we should hide the car keys too. Ready or not, our Little One has entered "phase two" of infancy. Let the fun begin…again!


1 comment:

  1. When Grandma read about this fete, she clapped her hands and then wiped away a tear. There is a big world waiting for you to discover it!

    ReplyDelete